Skip to content

The Power of One

February 24, 2012

Those of you who follow my blog every week know that I usually feature a job seeker on Facebook and the blog.  This week I’m participating in Freaky Friday, a fun idea from Mallie Dein at Go Creative Go! where we trade Facebook pages for a day.  As graphic designers and web designers, most Go Creative Go!  fans are small business owners, so this week’s blog will be on a topic that is relevant for both job seekers and business owners: LinkedIn.

LinkedIn offers a multitude of features and benefits for professionals, and I know how to use them.  I write LinkedIn profiles for job seekers and business owners.  I know how to optimize key words and get a profile to 100% completeness for Signal search optimization.  But I’ve been feeling overwhelmed by the volume of group email, discussion board posts, and spam.  I was having trouble filtering through the noise, so I it became easy to continue pushing LinkedIn activity to the end of my to-do list, and when I finally got there I would spend hours interacting until I felt overwhelmed again.  Sound familiar?

The main problem: I was lacking a clear strategy.

Earlier this week I participated in #LinkedInChat, a Twitter chat hosted by LinkedIn expert Viveka von Rosen (every Tuesday at 5 PM PST / 8 EST).  After a great chat about LinkedIn ROI, Viveka asked the question:

What strategies will you put in place to improve your LinkedIn ROI?

At that moment I had an epiphany: Simplicity

Just that simple prompt to come up with a quick answer about my strategy forced me to really think and I came up with a plan that I am excited about – and you may be too.  I’m calling it my Power of One plan.  The beauty is in its simplicity:

ONE Update per day.

LinkedIn updates (similar to a Facebook status) are now searchable with Signal, so it’s important to have an ongoing stream that includes key words on topics that my target audience would be interested in.  For me, that includes career and job search topics.  For job seekers, it would be topics Recruiters or Hiring Managers in your industry would search for.  For a small business owner, it should be related to your product or services.

ONE Answer per day.

LinkedIn answers are a way to establish your credibility as an expert in your field, as well as help out another person with a specific question.  It’s a way to give back and subtly market yourself while adding value to the LinkedIn community.  Just search the Answers section for questions related to your area of expertise, pick one and respond.  As an added bonus, other users can vote your answers as “Best” which adds even more credibility to your expertise.  Readers can then click on your picture and go straight to your profile to learn more about you.

ONE Discussion post per day.

I belong to a lot of groups (LinkedIn allows up to 50), and I find it overwhelming to keep up with the volume of posts in every group.  So I’ve decided not to try.  I will choose one group each day, and either respond to a Discussion Forum post, or start a new thread to generate engagement.  This helps to establish relationships with other group members, as well as add value, establish credibility and get my profile seen.

ONE New Connection per day.

My strategy isn’t to reach 20,000+ connections, so this growth pace (365 new connections per year) works for me.  And it’s doable. Even with my limited activity of late, I typically get at least one incoming connection request each day.  However, if I don’t, I will now make it a point to invite at least one new person to connect every day.  I’ll search for a LION (LinkedIn-Open-Networker), or I’ll invite someone I know from Twitter, Facebook, or interacted with somewhere else on LinkedIn.  If you decide to do this too, be sure to always include a personal message with the invitation to remind the person who you are, where you know them from, and why you’d like to connect.  It will make a big difference in your acceptance rate.

ONE InMail per day.

I am not a fan of spam or messages to multiple people.  I prefer 1:1 personal communication that enhances a relationship.  I am an open networker on LinkedIn, so I haven’t had a lot of prior communication with some of my connections.  My plan is to send a short personal note to one connection per day.  I’ll ask  something about a recent activity or their business.  Note that I will NOT be sending  “please like my Facebook page” or “please follow me on Twitter” messages, as those are blatant self-promotion that tends to immediately tune people out.  By showing a genuine interest in the other person, I hope that we can build a networking relationship that is beneficial for both of us.

In summary, the Power of One plan is this:

I expect this will take somewhere between 10-20 minutes each day.  This simple strategy will result in over 150 interactions per month (1,825 per year), which I hope will increase my ROI in terms of LinkedIn metrics and relationships that convert to sales for me or job leads for my clients.  I’ll be tracking some of the metrics suggested by Viveka von Rosen during the chat and on her blog, and I’ll post another blog after some time has passed to let you all know how those metrics have changed with this strategy.

Who’s with me?  Are you up for discovering the Power of One along with me?  Will you keep me updated about your ROI too?

UPDATE 2/27/12

Since I published this blog I’ve had such a great response that I’ve started a new LinkedIn group for anyone who would like to give this method a try.  It is open to everyone and will be moderated to prevent spam.  We can keep each other on track and share our results.  Please feel free to join us:

Power of One LinkedIn Group

17 Comments leave one →
  1. February 24, 2012 12:08 PM

Can I join you in the Power of One strategy? Quest? Challenge? Let’s connect with each other today! LOL. I think this is a great plan. I know how important Linkedin is and can be, but it often falls to the bottom of my list. No more!

2. February 24, 2012 12:14 PM

Karleen I am thankful for this clear cut advice on keeping it simple! What a great way to approach and such realistic goals with obvious impact! I love it! – Sue Vest http://www.linkedin.com/in/suevest

• February 24, 2012 12:46 PM

Sue, I send you a connection request – so we’re both covered on that ONE for today!

• February 24, 2012 3:23 PM

Check! It is really that easy when you break it down. Thanks again Karleen, I also will follow your blog for more great advice!

3. February 24, 2012 12:32 PM

Great strategy overall, Karleen. But just to be clear: if someone is a free LinkedIn profile user, they can not send InMail messages – need either to buy the upgrade of the account or to buy the InMail messages (and they are expensive: 1=10.95CAD).

• February 24, 2012 12:45 PM

Alex, thanks for the tip on one of the benefits of a paid account. I actually have a free account and I can send unlimited messages to people who are first degree connections. Perhaps the term “InMail” was the wrong terminology. My strategy is to reach out to my existing connections with a “keeping in touch” message, not to send the messages to people outside my network.

4. February 24, 2012 2:23 PM

Hi Karleen, I am with you on this one. I have stopped using #in or sending automatically Tweets on my Linkedin status update and more or less do 1 status update per day. Thanks also for sharing other tools I should use once a day everyday. KISS !

5. February 24, 2012 3:17 PM

Karleen I love your strategy and I’d like to employ it. I’ve never link my twitter account with Linkedin but I’m still feel overwelmed by the group activities. So I’m with you

6. Penny permalink
    February 25, 2012 8:14 AM

Thanks Karleen! Wonderful information. I read your ResumeSmith updates every week. Excited to see how your plans help you achieve your goals. Love the KISS idea!

7. Randy Thio permalink
    February 25, 2012 12:23 PM

Great post, Karleen. I’m guilty of leaving LinkedIn in the backburner because it seems pretty overwhelming to tackle. It’s time I capitalize on this platform and your suggestion makes a lot of sense. About to meet with my friend @venajensen here shortly and I’ll share your post with her. Looking forward to implementing your strategy and focus on being consistent.

Thanks loads for sharing!
    ~Randy

8. February 25, 2012 2:26 PM

Very genuinely smart tips from you in this post. It gave me some good LinkedIn things to consider regarding my own strategy for that platform. I could definitely enhance my activity on LinkedIn. I’m thinking of starting a new LinkedIn group where I will discuss personal branding. Any tips or suggestions what to think about?

9. Bridie Jenner permalink
    February 26, 2012 12:43 AM

I loved this idea when you suggested it during #LinkedInChat and yes, I will be trying it myself – I plan to start tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.

10. February 26, 2012 3:45 PM

I love the information on LinkedIn..I think you did a great job explaining how we all could benefit more from using the engagement factor. I will take some of your advise.

11. February 27, 2012 2:38 AM

I think LinkedIn is a great platform, in fact I think it is my favourite. I use it more than any other for my business but you are right it can be quite overwhelming. Great strategy, will certainly share this one around.

12. February 28, 2012 12:24 PM

Karleen this is a great strategy for anyone like me who is just so overwhelmed on LinkedIn that I don’t do much at all. Now you have outlined a workable strategy that will take less than half an hour a day. Thanks for that.

Dave

13. March 2, 2012 11:07 AM

Very nice simplicity strategy…Do you mind if I adopt it…LOL..For me, it’s a different problem with social media platform… I am always on facebook… OK… you inspired me to get LinkedIn a go… I have an account and use it (somewhat) but “The power of 1″ attracted very much… Thank you so much for this post… you are fabulous XX ~ Nathalie

Trackbacks

1. A Resume vs. LinkedIn: What you need to know (summary of #ResuChat ) « The ResumeSmith